As this pattern did not have any instructions, I chose to do it in some ugly (free!) fabric. I also opted to use dark thread so that I could see where to rip seams, which I knew I’d have to do frequently! I had trouble with one of the pieces not printing correctly. As this was one with a “slash on this line” designation on the largest piece (between 29 & 30), I made do. Other than that, I had no trouble cutting the pattern pieces out of fabric. It was obvious how each one fit together by using the numbers and common sense. I sewed the small pleats with no problem. However, the underarm seams and the two seams on the front and back refused to lay flat. I also had trouble with figuring out the collar. I “fudged” it and sewed it down, as I didn’t want to deal with buttonholes and making it detachable, as I was not making this to wear myself.
Overall, I think this blouse did turn out better than I’d expected and if the pattern wasn’t so small, I might make one in fashion fabric for myself. I’m not good at altering patterns up and down.
Fit: 34″ bust with narrow shoulders; would probably be an XS/S in modern clothing
Alterations to fit me: I did not do alterations
Changes I’d like in the pattern: The pattern pieces themselves were fine, other than the problem described above. Also, the bottom pieces of the blouse and the bottom of the sleeves did not quite match up. I had to square them up in order to put in a hem.
Changes in instructions: It would be nice to HAVE some instructions, especially dealing with the detachable collar and how to finish off the bottom of the shirt and how/where to do closures. I did not do any closures.
Description of techniques used: Pleating; sewing squared-off seams; calls for buttonholes, but I didn’t attempt them.
My sewing level: Self-taught – intermediate on a good day!
Sewing level for this pattern: Intermediate without instructions; advanced beginner with instructions.